Your speech will begin shortly. Are you ready?
Chances are that since you have an upcoming meeting, or will be engaged in a private conversation, you will be making a speech very soon.
My long held views on this subject were recently confirmed when I read an article in the March issue of Entrepreneur Magazine which covered the topic of meetings. According to Ross McCammon, “the way to really shine at meetings is to treat them like a speech.” Of course, there will be unique circumstances to this kind of speech but that’s nothing new. Every speaking engagement has unique qualities and you should always adapt accordingly.
Here are a few quick tips to make your upcoming speech effective:
- Keep it short, sweet, and centered around your main point
- Use the simple outline of stating what you will say, saying it, and then recapping what you just said
- Engage with a story or relatable example(s)
- Utilize a powerful opening and closing
- Motivate your audience to take the desired action
Whatever the format, deliver a great speech. For example, it’s true that some of the biggest business deals are struck on the golf course. As such, you have to be prepared to deliver your message in any venue, even while playing a round of golf.
Make the most of your next meeting or engagement. Remember, it’s a speech.
Keep speaking at every turn (pun intended 🙂 )
Your Presentation Counsel,